Embrace the Eerie!Tis’ the season of witches, ghosts, and all things to get you in the Halloween spirit. Yet, nothing quite screams to the festive feelings of Halloween like our furry friends. Cats have long been an iconic staple of the Halloween season, but do any of us actually know just how "creepy" our feline companions are? Is it all in the ominous silhouette across the glow of a full moon? The cackling cry and scurry across your feet on a dark and stormy night? Here are 5 seriously creepy cat facts you never knew that are far more chilling than any horror movie cliché.
1) Cats Can Heal Their Bones By Purring!
Well .. that’s certainly not the only reason they purr. But it is true! It has long been hypothesized that a cat's purr can have healing properties (a little like magic?). Research shows that cats purr with a vibrational frequency from 20Hz up to 150Hz. This constant sense of pressure helps to promote bone density and hardening.
2) They Can Birth Up To 19 Kittens In One Litter!We’re gonna need a little more catnip. The Guinness Book of World Records states that the largest number of kittens born to a single litter stands at 19! This occurred on August 7th, 1970 in Oxfordshire, U.K. Although a normal litter ranges from 4 to 6 kittens, this medical anomaly certainly stands out as one strange (and exhausting) occurrence. Even stranger, chance would have it that all but one of the kittens who survived the birth were male.
3) Wait, Cats Can Drink Seawater?What kind of creatures are these guys!? Can cats really drink from the.. ocean? Surprisingly, yes! As strange as it sounds cats have the unique ability to adapt under certain conditions to live off seawater. With a superior kidney function that allows them to process saltwater effectively cats step into the “mythical territory” as part-time sea dwellers. Strange, but true!
4) They Can Hear Everything You Say!
Well, not quite EVERYTHING but they can certainly hear more than you can! In fact, cats possess the ability to hear things on an ultrasonic level (that’s..pretty high). They can hear up to 100,000 hertz whereas dogs fall between the range of 35,000 to 40,000 hertz. So the next time you find yourself whispering be careful, your kitty may just be listening in!
5) They Only Sweat Through Their Paws!
Cats are highly evolved to keep their coats as dry as possible, so they leave the sweating to their feet! One major problem, paws don’t provide much room for ventilation. So for a cat feeling a little warmer than usual expect to find some wet paw prints stamped around the house. Ick!
Side note, if you've noticed wet paws as the reason behind excessive litter tracking around the house the AutoEgg tracking pad could be the solution to your problem!
As strange and creepy as our fur babies may appear, one thing is for sure. They might be weirdos, but they’re our little weirdos! Cats get a bad rap around Halloween and are often painted as dark and mysterious creatures who lurk under stormy skies. But in reality, they’re just big balls of love with a few creepy quirks. Enjoy your Halloween with your feline friend and remember to stay safe and embrace the eerie!
Learn more about all of the incredible features behind the ChillX AutoEgg on our homepage. We put the work in so you won’t have to. Chill, we’ve got this!